I've gotten a couple of great suggestions for iron-rich foods/supplements in the comments box and also by email. I'd like to hear more! When I told August where my Hematocrit was this morning and where my doc wanted it to be, his reply was, "Oh, that's quite a jump."
SO.............help me out here by sharing ANY ideas you have for ways to boost my iron. Otherwise, I'll be eating burgers and collard greens for weeks!
6 comments:
Here is your list of foods that are a good source of iron include:
liver
lean red meats, including beef, pork, lamb
seafood, such as oysters, clams, tuna, salmon, and shrimp, etc.
beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils
iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta
greens, including collard greens, kale, mustard greens, spinach, and turnip greens
tofu
vegetables, including broccoli, swiss chard, asparagus, parsley, watercress, brussel sprouts
chicken and turkey
blackstrap molasses
nuts
egg yolks
dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots
I ate some brussel sprouts for you tonight. We are sending good thoughts your way.
Love,
Monica
You are in our prayers. Rest, rest, rest!
Try to eat your iron-rich foods and your vitamin C at the same meal to increase the iron absorption. You can cook acidic foods, like spaghetti sauce, in a cast-iron Dutch oven to leach out the iron into your sauce.
Love,
Kristen
I can't add much to these awesome lists, but my hematocrit dips frighteningly low in all of my pregnancies.
I haven't seen this suggested yet...
Buy cereals fortified in iron! Check the labels. Drink a big glass of orange juice with your cereal because as Kristen mentions, iron is absorbed more readily along with Vitamin C. I ate cereal in the morning, for a mid-morning snack and before bed. It brought my iron up in a couple of weeks and it was a nice change from spinach and red meat!
I don't mean to digress, but Happy Birthday, Martha!
I am anemic, too. I have 30mg iron in my prenatal vitamin, plus I'm supposed to take two 30 mg each supplements daily. I've found cream of wheat has about 10mg per serving and frosted shredded mini-wheats cereal has 16 mg per serving! That's the highest I've found in food. I find the food sources don't mess with my system as much as the supplements. I will pray for you as I eat my extra bowl of cereal every day! Peace, Molly
Post a Comment