Friday, March 6, 2009

Out on the Town

This morning was our first real outing as a family since August came home from the hospital. He had been out to run a few errands with me earlier in the week but not for a very long time. Today, thanks to the generosity of my friend Cindy, we took the girls to see a condensed version of the Moscow Ballet's Cinderella. I was hesitant at first to accept the tickets but August assured me he felt up for it. So we left the house around 9:30, to drive downtown. (I don't think I've mentioned how nerve wracking it can be to drive someone with a neck injury around! With every turn and jolt, I would notice him holding his collar securely in place with his hand - all the time assuring me he was "fine".) The ballet was such a fun treat although I caught someone with his eyelids looking very heavy about midway through. Afterwards, we capped off our "family date" with lunch out together. It was such an enjoyable morning. I warned him beforehand, though, that it might wear him out to be out on the town already. I don't think he believed me. Well, we had been home maybe 30 minutes when he was already changed into his comfy clothes and heading for bed. (I keep telling him that now he can understand the fatigue a woman feels after giving birth. I'm hoping his experience buys me even more sympathy come May!)

I am happy to report though that last night was the first night he was able to sleep without taking any sleep medication. I know that may sound like a baby step but it feels like a real victory around here!

2 comments:

turtlemama said...

What great news. I'm so glad that things are continuing to go well. Sounds like a fun morning out. Hugs--Sarah

Monica Sanusi Gele said...

You know his narcolepsy isn't from post surgery...just in the genes like Opa:)

Sounds like yall are doing better each day. Keep wanting to call but my girls are both sick and it is always too late when I realize I should have called.