Thursday, March 12, 2009

Happy Progress Report

Today, August, the girls and I took a family roadtrip to Richmond for an action-packed day. Although the primary reason for our trip was August's follow-up visit with Dr. Young, we also took the opportunity to visit some Civil War landmarks since we're studying that period of history (a post for another day), our favorite Asain Supermarket, (I think they're starting to recognize us in there!), and one of the best (in our opinion) Vietnamese Restaurants around.

The point of this post, however, is to share that August had a glowing progress report from Dr. Young. He had an x-ray taken which looked great. His neck is healing well. AND.....{insert drumroll and a happy dance here}.....his numbness is starting to subside!!!! WOO HOO!!!! He suspected that maybe that was happening earlier in the week but I was hesitant to post until he was sure. It definitely comes and goes but we're headed in the right direction! I'm just so excited for this piece of encouragement for him. This means so much to his livelihood - his ability to examine his patients, his handwriting, and - above all - his tennis game!

Another exciting bit of news is that he has permission to be out of his hard collar and in a softer one during the day. (Ironically, he says the soft one is no more comfortable than the hard one but it sure looks a lot more comfortable if you ask me!) You can see him modeling it here. He is also free to drive some but still no tennis yet - believe me, he asked!!

The girls got to meet Dr. Young face to face and I think that was a treat for all involved. He entered the room carrying a brown paper bag which he proceeded to hand to me. He said it was a treat for the girls - a snack for later. I thought, "Uh oh, I won't mention the fact that we're all avoiding sweets for Lent." You'll never guess what we found in the bag when we opened it later in the day - fruit! Although I might never have the courage to say it to his face, he is such a sweetie! Doesn't he look like it!?


We will head back to Richmond in two weeks for another follow-up appointment.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! It's Livi Lou and Lizaboo!

We're liking the pictures on the blog! It's fun to see OURSELVES on the blog!! Though the news is happy about Dad's good progress, I'm not sure Dad would say that it's the happiest since he can't play tennis YET!(mind you we said YET!) We're VERY glad that Dad is feeling better now, and we didn't realize how much he is allowed to do!!!!!!! We love you SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much Mom and Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of Love,
O&E

Anonymous said...

I really liked Dr. Young when we met him today! I'm glad that you put those pictures on here!
~~~

Anonymous said...

We're all so happy to hear of August's recovery. Glory to God for all things. You all remain in our prayers.

With much love in Christ,
katherine and Family

Anonymous said...

I think the doc's just afraid August will challenge him to a post-op tennis match!

Who wouldn't be?! :)