Thursday, March 26, 2009

Big Day Out

Today, I had an appointment for a follow-up ultrasound and then later, an appointment with my OB. The ultrasound confirmed, as we expected, that my placenta hasn't budged from it's low position. The chances are slim to none that it will migrate. That pretty much clinched the deal on my requiring a c-section. We expected it would and that's really OK. Something about a c-section feels safe and controlled at this point. And those a very precious things to me right now.

The area where the bleed occurred appears to have sealed off well meaning that "event" (as the docs like to call it) is over. Now, we just have to prevent any futures "events". This basically means I'm back to the couch indefinitely with permission to get up for meals (no more coffee table dining!) and bathroom trips. August can also take me on an occasional drive which I was so glad to hear!

It was a little disconcerting today when August and the high-risk OB doc who did my ultrasound were chatting about how low my Hematocrit had gotten in the hospital. Questions like "Did they transfuse you?" and "How far do you live from the hospital?" just aren't very assuring! He sounded a little more upbeat when I told him I'm on iron supplements three times a day.

Speaking of my Hematocrit, I had bloodwork drawn today too. We'll know the results of that tomorrow. I'm really hoping for a high 20's number, thirty would be even better!

Even though it's rainy and dreary here, the day appeared glorious to me with spring blooms everywhere. To my delight, the ultrasound appointment was all the way on the opposite side of town so I had miles of opportunity to take in every Redbud, Bradford Pear, Cherry, and Forsythia bloom on the way.

The chance to see our sweet, healthy, and now chubby boy again was priceless. He's clearly gained some meat on his bones. He has lots of hair and eye lashes too! He seems to suck on anything within reach. And the girls say he has his dad's nose. I have to admit I see the resemblance too, don't you?


I know this isn't the most flattering picture I could have posted of August but it exemplifies well his life of the past few weeks. He runs all day, serving all of us so faithfully and tirelessly. Then he collapses on the couch where he's asleep in seconds. He was actually supposed to return to see his surgeon today but my appointments trumped his. Instead, he will follow-up on the phone later this week and hopefully be out of his collar soon.
I'll check in tomorrow with what will hopefully be an impressive lab report!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures, Mom! ;)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well. I'm praying for good test results tomorrow. So glad you can get up for meals. I'm sure every little freedom is encouraging.

The baby is adorable. Can't wait to see him...but keep him tucked inside a bit longer. We can wait a few more weeks. :)

Love in Christ,
katherine

Anonymous said...

Martha, what an adorable little guy! Do you know his approximate weight right now??

Martha said...

You know I didn't even think to ask about his weight yesterday. I wish I had! When I was in the hospital, he was just shy of 4 lbs. I'd like to think he's a little over that now.

Anonymous said...

Oh, he's adorable. 3D ultrasound is amazing. Glad to hear you're able to get out---even if it's just to the doctors! You get to see the trees in bloom!