Saturday, March 21, 2009

32 WEEKS!!

You can bet we're celebrating around here. Our little guy has stayed tucked in one more week and continues to grow and swim happily! Woo Hoo! Just 6 (six?!) more weeks to go!!

A few respite reflections from the past week:
  • When your confined to one spot, surrounded by your most essential things, and experiencing periods of solitude throughout the day, the people in your world become all the more precious. When they walk into the room, you put aside what you're doing and engage with them- not because you know you should but because they really are more important than your agenda. In fact, they have become your agenda and you're aware of how much you need them. From the time our girls were little, we've always told them people are more important than things. What was a family motto has become more of a heart reality for me. We need each other. We really do. We need to connect with our eyes, with our hearts, and with our touch. When other things are stripped away, the magnitude of our need for one another becomes starkly clear.
  • I desperately need my friends' encouragement and help. I don't like to admit this because it's much more comfortable for me to be self-sufficient and in control. I don't like to ask for help and I don't like to be a burden. (That's my pride speaking in case it's not glaringly obvious!) Yet my friends are right there driving my kids to and fro, doing my shopping, feeding my family, being voices of hope, and praying incessantly. I couldn't "do" this without them.
  • I used to pooh-pooh virtual friendships. And while I believe friendship is meant to thrive primarily in our tangible, local circles, God is showing me that there is much wisdom, encouragement, and care to be found in virtual relationships. For that, I'm very grateful.
  • I miss Mass terribly. I have my bible, other wonderful reading and music at my disposal but it's not the Mass and I feel the void. Oh, how I look forward to being there again in that sacred place.
  • My girls are GOLD. I always knew they were pretty special but I'm seeing them rise to the occasion in ways that I never would have expected. They can whip of the clutter in the kitchen faster than me now. They are growing in servanthood - recognizing needs and moving to meet them, often without being prompted.
  • If my girls are gold, then my man is PLATINUM. I can't even put into words how much my admiration for August has grown. His faith-filled response to the increased burdens and needs on him leaves me in awe. And as he serves us faithfully and cheerfully, despite his own fatigue (I've never seen anyone fall asleep so fast - anywhere, anytime!), he is constantly encouraging me to keep my eyes on heaven throughout this ordeal.
"Husbands, love your wives as Christ loved the Church and gave himself up for her.." Eph. 5:25

That's my man.

3 comments:

Marilyn said...

Congratulations- 32 weeks is a HUGE milestone. I celebrate at 32 weeks, jump up and down at 34, and start feeling I am done at 36 weeks!! I still have a little over 2 weeks to 32 - a few contractions but I am sure my appt this week will show no problems.

Hang in there - it really will go fast.

(a bit of humor - I was SO tired of cleaning yesterday, I was grumbling at everyone and telling them that I was going to check my self into bedrest!!)

Anonymous said...

Hey Mom!
You really seem to enjoy your bathroom trips nowadays. At least, the most I've ever seen. You're allowed to stand up as long as it's a bathroom trip or on your 1 up and down the stairs trip. So, the funny thing is, you can do what ever you want on those trips! As long as it's a bathroom trip, you can go by way of the microwave or oven to get somthing , if it's not to heavy.
I know that you want to get up and around, but if staying still is best for the baby, then that's what you got to do. I,of course, have not expeirienced such restlessness, so, I'd not be the best one to ask about what to do while sitting on the couch. All I know is that you should stay on the couch, or at least, most of the time!

Liv

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you've made it to 32 weeks. I'm sure you are celebrating over there. Continued prayers for you, baby and the entire family. Your example of patience is encouraging to me. You're giving much to us from that couch of yours.