Brayden started his day bright and early yesterday (Wednesday) at 3:30 a.m. Since he's sharing a room with August and me, that also means I was up early too. Fortunately, he was content to play quietly by himself for a long while so I could sleep a bit longer. Don't be too impressed. After blowing through a few books, he very sweetly requested to play games on my iPhone. I was glad to hand it over to him.
We all slept well and felt really good in the morning. Breakfast was a wonderful variety of traditional Indonesian breakfast foods (spicy fried rice with sweet sausage and cucumbers) and some more familiar western foods as well (bread, jam, cheese, and various sweet breads which I couldn't really identify but happily ate anyway!). Although this pic isn't the sharpest, you can see her sitting to Oma's left. (Oma is in the middle.)
After breakfast, and figuring out the showers (Praise God we're staying in a home with actually showers in the bathrooms!), we headed to a surprise birthday party for a very precious friend of Oma's. We call her Tante Lien. (More about the very confusing system of names later!) Although the pic below isn't the sharpest, you can see her sitting to Oma's left. (Oma is in the middle.) Tante Lien is technically Oma's aunt but is only 3 years older. She was like a very dear big sister to Oma in their growing up years.
There were about 40 people there along with quite a spread of Indonesian foods, some familiar but many not so familiar to us.
The same can be said of those 40 people!
Although I recognized some of the faces from our visit 18 years ago, I was completely lost on their names. I felt badly about that until I figured out that any westerner doesn't stand a chance at figuring out the names over here. The challenge is that each person has an indonesian name and a generational title that precedes their name. They also have names to identify positions in the family that the english language does not identify, i.e. And if they also have an english name, that confusion is only compounded! Here's an example. Oma's indonesian name is Goat (pronounced Gwot) and her english name is Marina. Most stick with their indonesian names so I'll do the same for this example. If you are of the same generation as her, you might call her just Goat or you might call her "Cik Goat" (pronounced cheek Gwot) meaning smaller or younger "sister". If you're in a generation younger than her, you might call her tante or your might call her oma. So the proper names for August and me to use when addressing these folks are not the same names our children are to use when addressing them. You can see why my eyes spin back in my head whenever I try to figure this out. Below are some "cheat sheets" August's dad made years and years ago (maybe even on our last visit here). Unbelievably, August still had them in his file at home and brought them along. Even with it mapped out, when I get face to face with these folks I'm lost. I just smile and hope I don't have to address them by name! :)
Well, it's 7:00 in the morning here. I've been up since 5:30 working on this post (the internet is slow here) and I've only gotten through half of day one! But we're headed out of Surabaya to some smaller outlying town for the next couple of days. It's not likely I'll be able to blog during that time. So you'll have to wait until our return to hear about our supermarket experience (my friend Kelly will love this) and our restaurant outing for dinner last night. So sorry!
Please pray for us as we travel over the next couple of days. We'll be traveling by mini-van with a hired driver and the traffic laws here seem to be more "guidelines than actual rules", as Captain Barbossa ("Pirates of the Caribbean") would say!
13 comments:
So exciting!!Can't wait to hear more about your adventures. What a handsome extended family you have!!
You are blessed.
I love you, mom
Sounds exciting! Have fun, and.looking firward to yout next post.
Sorry for the awful spelling!
Love you, Sanusis! Looking forward to your next post!
LOVE hearing about your adventures. You're all in my prayers!
The food sounds delicious!! The "cheat sheets" are too cute but I bet the come in handy :)
Hope you guys got a good night's sleep and can't wait to hear about your mini van adventure!
I'm waiting for the next post with gloves and bleach---NO! with bated breath!!!!! So happy for you all- what a great family adventure! Love and prayers- kel
Dear Martha and August,
Glad that you finally made another trip to Surabaya. We wish you a nice trip and some relaxing time!
My mom ( Loe Sioe Hwa, the one with grayest hair) forwarded me your blog . Thanks, mom.
Oooh, I miss the food. I see pastel ( the one like hot pockets/apple turnover but has thin shell and carrot ,chicken, peas, eggs inside) . I see satay ( chicken skewer) and lontong ( rice cake ). Yum !
Cheat sheet , what a brilliant idea ! I will have to make a copy of it.
Let me see if I can remember some people.
Ladies photo back row ( Pardon my mistake) :
1. Must be Tante/Aunt Jane's granddaughter ?
2. Tante/Aunt Jane ( I called her aunt Jane, since she married to Om Freddy, cousin of my mom. Om Freddy is Tante Goat's cousin ).
3. Tante /Aunt Sing Hwa
4. My mom, Sioe Hwa ( also cousin of tante Goat, my Grandma, Tjio Swan Nio is the little sister of tante Goat's mom ). She is sitting by Oma/GrandAunt Lien and Tante/Aunt Goat .
She has the grayest hair, and the biggest smile.
5. Tante/Aunt Inge, and her daughter Adeline . Aunt Inge is the best hairstylist, make up artist in Surabaya. Her husband , om Rudy, is tante Goat and my mom's cousin.
On proper names ... they are different depending on what ethnicity/culture you belong to. Dutch-educated and Indonesian-assimilated ethnic Chinese adopt Dutch proper names like Tante, Oom, Opa, and Oma. But they keep Chinese / Hokkien proper names for the same generation, like Cik (older not younger sister) or Koh (older brother). Another ethnic group would another set of proper names.
Thanks so much for the update. You must have been dead tired when you wrote this one. It is great to be able to follow your trip. I am writing this on Saturdey and am assuming you are not in "internet territory", since there has been a break in news.
Love to all.
7. The tallest Ine in our extended family : Marina.
8. Tante / Aunt Mooi Tjie ( pronounced " Muy" as in Spanish " Muy bien" , " chee" ) , little suster of tante Sing Hwa, Ai Hwa and Om Kay Swat, which are chilren of the eldest brother of my grandma ( Emak/ Oma Swan ) , called Kong Hay . She is a dentist, working in the same university as where my mom used to work before she retired.
Tante Mooi and Tante Goat are cousins.
9. tante Ing / Inge Lunardhi, is the wife of my uncle, Loe Sioe Thoen,the eldest brother of my mom. She is a retired chemist. Two of her kids are residing in the US ( Alfons who married Nina Kadi, daughter of Josef and Lucy Kadi/ sister of Om Ing Hok and Lydia ) .
10 . Tante Ai Hwa, sister of tante Mooi (7 ) and tante Sing Hwa (3 ) , an accomplished architect. Her Husband , om Koen, helped Oma Lien built her house , also helped my mom remodeled our house.
Would love to hear more about the trip and reunion with the Sie family . Have a wonderful time.
Try : Teh botol and Kue Sus ( bottled sweet tea and cream puff ala Indonesia ) .
Angeline/ Ansye
Daughter of Sioe Hwa, who lives near San Francisco ( near Ramon Kadi).
PS: Please help me with the guys photo. I only recognize Om Kay Swat, Henry ( son of Opa Diem, technically cousin of Tante Hoat, despite only one year older than me ) , August, Sioe HAm ( youngest brother of my mom ) and Eri ( my cousin, son of Om Sioe Thoen and tante Ing , brother of Alfons) .
Is that om Freddy, and Om Tiang Kui ( tante Goat's brother ) 's son ?
Post a Comment