Have you ever had an experience where you realize that what you thought would be a seemingly mundane encounter with someone is instead a divine appointment perfectly orchestrated by God himself? I have a friend who likes to say that Aslan is on the move when she sees God at work in her life or in someone's close by. I love that image of the Lord quietly padding about my life watching, working, and always loving despite my frequent oblivion to it. I had a conversation today that reminded me of this image and I felt so thankful for those times the Lord allows us to see the tangible evidence of his presence - his paw prints if you will.
Our family has grown close to a woman who I'll call "Hope" since I wish that so much for this sweet lady. Hope lost her husband, the love of her life, suddenly, back in the fall. He was hunting with a friend and they had taken a break. Apparently the spot where they chose to rest was breathtakingly beautiful because it caused Hope's husband to ponder God's beauty and the splendor of His creation aloud to his friend. After that, Hope's beloved dropped to the ground suffering a heart attack. He died right there in the woods. August, who had known Hope and her husband for quite some time, was one of the first people Hope called that painful day.
Last night, August and I were discussing plans for Brayden's upcoming baptism. I was telling him that we needed to figure out what Brayden would wear for the occasion. For many reasons, this baptism is ultra-special and I wanted him to wear something special but had no ideas what that might be. Instantly August's face lit up as he remembered that Hope had a little business sewing heirloom special occasion infant and childrens' clothing.
I was a little hesitant to call Hope since the baptism is only 10 days away but I did it anyway knowing it was probably a long shot. When she realized why I was calling, she told me the story of how she had been in her sewing room when she learned of her husband's death and hasn't been able to go back there since. She shared that her family members have been nudging her to get back to sewing but she just hasn't felt ready. She has been waiting for some special occasion to get her over the hump and back into the sewing room. Apparently, Brayden's baptism is just that. Her joy at the idea of creating such a special garment for Brayden was palpable over the phone lines. We set a time to get together and talk about ideas for the baptismal gown.
After hanging up the phone, I stood there stunned at how much Hope and I had needed each other today and didn't even know it. What began as our family's need is also being used as a healing balm in Hope's heart.
God could have kept me in the dark today and I wouldn't have known the difference. Yet, instead, He lovingly allowed me to glimpse the paw prints and I'm so very glad.
1 comment:
That is a beautiful story. I love that image of "Aslan is on the move" too! How awesome when He allows us to become aware of His quiet footsteps.
Post a Comment