Thursday, February 26, 2009

Surgery Update #1

"Don't worry, August. I'll take care of you just like you were my son."

August was rolled into the Operating Room around 12:45 p.m. today. The words above were what Dr. Young said to him shortly before that. And I really believe him.

I got a call around 1:45 p.m. from one of the OR nurses letting me know that they had started and that his vitals were normal. Dr. Young told me this morning that it may be 2 1/2 or 3 hours from the time they start until they are finished. At this hospital, they don't let family members see the patient in the Recovery Room so I won't see him until they bring him up to his room - where I'm waiting now. I'd love to think that will be around 5:00 but it may realistically be more like
6:00.

The top picture is August waiting in the pre-op area. Notice there's not a twinge of anxiety on his face?! He's so great in that way.


These other two pictures show the wires they attached to him to monitor his nerve impulses throughout the surgery. He has them on both wrists and his ankles. These wires will provide information about how well his nerves are conducting sensory and motor impulses throughout the operation. They will give a warning if the surgeons get too close to the spinal cord. Isn't that amazing? August wanted to be sure I got pictures of these since he knew we had a special somebody at home who would want to know as many of the medical details as possible...right Marina?!


I don't expect to get another call from the OR until they are done but if I do, I'll post another update. Until then, I'll be waiting and praying in his room.

Thanks for all of the comments, emails, and phone calls I've gotten over the past few days. The encouragement has been much needed and much appreciated.

4 comments:

turtlemama said...

Been thinking of you all day. Hope things continue to go well. Hugs and prayers,

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Not long now! REMEMBER- don't hug him too hard!!!!!!!!! Love and prayers, Kel

Monica Sanusi Gele said...

I am thinking about you guys every minute. I thought about flying up there to be with you, but then thought that maybe it wouldn't be a good idea since I always end up being a patient whenever I come up there to visit.

Love,
Monica

Anonymous said...

Hi Mama and Dad!
We miss you here and have thought of you and prayed for you many times today. We like being able to see Dad on the blog!
Pray for us; and we'll pray for you. Keep us in your dreams. ;)

~ Your girls ( the MOJE ) <><

Aunt Monica- we wish you would come over!